Wednesday 9 November 2011

My last few sessions

It would be nice to blog about every single session I have but unfortunately, not all sessions are blog worthy. I could pad out every report with gumpf but if I lump them all together it's a bit easier to fill a page or two.

Rock mark Bassing (1st November)

You'll see from previous reports that through the autumnal storms we had some fantastic Bass fishing whilst the sea was up. The charts showed that the swell was dropping for the coming week so made sense to take advantage of the last it and get out to see if we could winkle a few more out. Woody was busy with other things that night so I made a quick call to my mate Gary, who is always up for a session (the joys of being retired eh!) and we arranged to meet up on the rock. I turned up to find a perfect sea so quickly got my gear on and made my way down.

Gary had already been been fishing for an hour and had caught 3 or 4 codling and had a couple of 2lb+ Bass on the rock that he had caught within the the last 10 minutes. It didn't take me long to strap a rig on, bait it up and cast it seawards. Within a couple of minutes were were both into fish.






As per the last session this just continued on for the next hour and a half or so with both of us catching a mixture of reasonable sized Bass, Small codling and the odd dog fish. Everything was coming to lug worm again as anything remotely fishy would have been hammered by the dog's within seconds.












The next fish was a bit more of a surprise with Dennis Taylor landing this lovely little 3lb Codling. Then all of a sudden the sea flattened off and we went from having a bite a chuck to pretty much nothing so we packed up and made our way over  to the inside rock to see how a couple of mates ,Christian and Beiber, were getting on. I've given up trying to hide my marks from Christian. I think he's got a tracker attached to my car as every time I have been somewhere and caught fish, guess who turns up the day after!





We were greeted by this fantastic sight. A Smooth hound of about 8lb. We don't see to many in Cornish waters so they are always nice to see and this must have lead him a merry dance in deep water in a biggish sea. They'd had a few other fish but nothing to write home about and not half as many as we had. I would have swapped all of my Bass that night for this chap though.




A couple of beach sessions looking for another ray

With the conditions dropping it was perfect to get back out onto the beaches and see if there were still any ray about. The joy of ray fishing is that if you don't catch any ray then you are still more then likely to catch a few Bass and that's exactly what happened. Both myself and Woody had a few Bass each and both missed run's, which were obviously ray so they are still out there. I didn't take any pictures though as all of the Bass were only a couple of pounds.


Another beach session on the ray (6th November)

With a house full of visitors I was happy to get back out onto the beach. The tides were looking better then the previous trips and Tom, my sisters boyfriend was keen on coming out fishing. It wasn't going to be the greatest night to helping out a total newbie but he was keen and picked things up nicely the last time I took him so I borrowed some waders from the only other guy I know who has canoe feet and we set off for the beach, picking Woody up on the way. It was another testing night with the usual long surges that you get on a flat north coast beach on big tides. This meant a wade out 60 yards and a big cast which, by the time your back at your sand spike, means your fishing at 150 yards or so. This makes bite detection a bit more difficult, especially in the breeze but we didn't manage too badly.








I finished the session with 4 Bass and Woody missed a good run first cast. I'm glad to report that Tom coped admirabily and landed his first Bass from a Cornish beach. Good job all round.








More ray fishing (8th November)

With all of the fishing I had squeezed in over the last 10 days I was planning on staying in for the rest of the week but i had a call from a friend, Pete Glassback, asking if I fancied another session on the beach before the weather turned and the swell picked up again. Initially I was amendment I was going to stay in but I figured this might well be my last chance of a decent ray this year. After much deliberation I decided to go and arranged to meet Pete in the car park between 19:30 and 20:00. Upon arrival the sea was a little bigger then had been forecast but it just within the limit's of being OK. The surge had also gotten a bit longer. None of it was too much of a problem though but it did make for a hard night's fishing when coupled with a steady 20mph South easterly, gusting to quite a lot more.

Pete was first off of the mark with plump little 2lb'er followed by a steady stream of bites and fish for me.

We were just talking about going home when I saw a small but definite bite on my rod. Nothing came of it for the next 30 seconds or so I put it back into the tripod to get myself a drink. A minute or so later I had another bang so quickly picked up the rod and stuck into what was a weighty fish. Bigger Bass don't tend to fight too much on the beach until they get into shallower water and I wasn't certain if i had a big Bass or a small ray on until it was about 30 yards out when I could tell of certain i had a Bass on. It was shaking it's head and going mental. Pete waded out into the surge to get behind the fish if the unthinkable happened and I hear "you spawny bastard!" I'm starting to get excited now as I haven't had a single 'proper' Bass this year. "How big?" i shouted and all I got back was a laugh. That's when i saw a big flash of silver. It looked massive. That's until I saw that I had in fact got 2 bass on 1 bait. One on the main hook and the other on the pennel hook. I was totally gutted but it was another two for my tally.

I ended the session with 4 to Petes one. I'd shown the old boy how to go on and was happy for it. The fish had really only just come on the feed properly as wew were leaving but it was already 23:00 on a school night and by the time we'd walked back to the car's, got our gear off, got home (and Pete had to drive back to lanson) and cleaned the gear off, sorted the bait out and cleaned up the Bass it was going to be a late enough night.

Now I'm definitely staying in for a couple of nights...........

Thanks for looking and don't forget to like my facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. I left New York for the Caribbean Island of Antigua. My friend a popular radio personality was about to lose a major deal. He had two months to transform a derelict beach property into a nightclub or lose it. After granting him the second unsecured loan, I decided to take off and finish the club myself. Click here

    ReplyDelete