Thursday 8 January 2015

A new year, some new targets.

The new year is a bit of a funny one for sea anglers. It's not really a new year as such. Certainly i never see it that way. My fishing year starts sometime in March when the mackerel turn up in decent numbers and ends sometime in February when I've had enough of blanking in the cold.

Naturally, it's a good time for many clubs to start there new years and for everyone to renew there subscriptions but I've always wondered why none follow the seasons rather then the calender? I suppose the tail end of the winter gives the competitive anglers a month or so's good fishing to get a good start in for their club and county championships?

On that note, I'm sure that most of you are aware that the CFSA and it's member clubs are taking a step into the unknown and introducing  catch a release championship. Details are available but it's pretty straight forward. I just hope that we get enough anglers sign up to make it worthwhile. I'm 99% we will be starting it on 1st of February but I'll confirm that in the next week or so.

My own fishing has suffered in recent years. I've just struggled to get the motivation. Most of you look forward to your night fishing whilst your stuck at work but obviously i'm surrounded by it 24/7. Not that I'm complaining. I love fishing. I'm just hoping i can keep the enthusiasm up this year.

This year I'm going to spend a lot more time on the estuaries so I'm going to base my targets around them. I've really gotten into my floundering this year so on the front, my first target for the year is a specimen flounder. Not too many 3lb flounders get caught but you might as well set your targets high. I guess i'd be happy with one over 2 1/2 though. I've go a good month to go now so it'd be nice to get that one ticked off the list this winter.

Next one my list is bream. I've spend a reasonable amount of time breaming over the last few years but only ever in fits and starts. This year I'm going to try a bit harder. Only part of my goal is fish size-obviously another specimen would be nice but I'm going to set my target at 5lb. The other part is to spend a bit more time on new marks rather then fishing the same old marks on the Fal. Marks that don't get fished as often. I've also never had a single session on the Camel targeting bream so there's a good place to start.

Those are my 2 main targets but I'm sure things will change throughout the year. If I'm going to be spending more time on the rivers then there will be plenty of other fish to target. Both of my PB Huss and Eel's came from the rivers (Fal and Fowey respectively) and it'd be nice to have a few more rays this year.

So there you have it. That's my targets for the year set. A decent flounder and a decent bream. Hopefully I'll have them both ticked off by the end of April. 

Tight lines

P.S I'll try a bit harder to keep up with my blog this year. Expect a few more reviews and tutorials over then next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment