Thursday 5 February 2015

Pulley rigs

A pulley rig accounts for probably 90% of my fishing. It's a simple rig to tie, doesn't many components, it's good to clip down and I rarely get any tangles. The pulley effect also lifts the lead off of the deck and away from any snags whilst your retrieving (assuming that the fish you catch is heavier then the weight!) Here is how I tie mine.

Components used:

Amnesia 40lb black rig body-20"
Amnesia 30lb clear snood-16"
Tronix pro pulley bead
Sakuma size 2 swivel
Breakaway imp
Sakuma 545 manta extra 3/0

I start this rig by cutting the rig body to length. As I'm sure I've mentioned before I like to keep my rigs pretty short-the less there is out there, the less tangles you have. As a rule i use 40lb black amnesia for this job if I know I'm going to be using my Century TTSM LD's as they are a 5oz rod but If I'm stepping up to heavier gear then I would use 60lb.





Then I tie on an Imp. I've used many bait clips over the years but this is the one that I find most reliable. Yes, they can be a pain in the knackers to put together but they just work.














Next I put a free running pulley bead on the rig body. I will say tat the Tronix pro pulley bead is the only one i have used and I've never had one let me down so I've never bothered trying any other. The plastic isn't too hard and the swivel isn't too big. Again, they just work.








Hook selection is pretty important and I decide which hook to use based on a couple of things. Points to consider are target species, mark and baits. For the rig I'm tying today I have opted for a single manta extra 3/0. I've chose this as I know that I will be fishing single crab baits for cod. The hook is plenty big enough for the job without being  massive, man enough to lift a fish at low water and has a nice wide gape so as to not obscure the point/barb if the crab slips down the shank. If i were using bigger baits like whole or double squid i would up the size and possibly add a pennel hook. Another example would be when ray fishing i use a pair of 4/0 540 mantas as the pennel hook holds the eel up nice and straight so stops it slipping down around the curve and sitting bent on the sea bed.







And that is pretty much as simple as it is. 4 knots, a few components and you have a very versatile rig. Here is a crab bait sitting in behind my favoured Gemini 5oz flat backed lead. It's nice an aero dynamic and there is plenty of hook showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment